It should come as no surprise that kids make big messes. Finding the best vacuum for battling kid messes is essential and should be in every mom handbook.
Let’s uncover what it takes to make a vacuum powerful enough to stand against even the messiest toddlers.
In an effort to be transparent, this blog uses affiliates links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn commission on qualifying purchases. So heads up, there may be some in this post!
The best vacuum for homes with kid messes should be one that is powerful, has great suction and easy to use. Moms have enough to deal with that picking the perfect vacuum needs to be easy. Below you’ll see our top options for all types of floors.
Best Vacuum Cleaner for Homes with Toddlers
- Best Overall: Shark ION P50 – IC162, Lightweight Cordless Upright Vacuum
- Best for Carpet: Bissell 9595A CleanView Bagless Vacuum
- Best for Hardwood Floors: Dyson Cyclone V10 Absolute Lightweight Cordless
- Best Multi-Floor: Shark APEX Upright Vacuum with DuoClean
- Best Robot Vacuum: eufy Anker, BoostIQ RoboVac 11S
Compare them all here or keep reading for individual reviews.
Best Overall: Shark ION P50
From yogurt to everyday dirt, toddlers can do your home a lot of damage. You need a vacuum that can handle whatever life throws at it. That means one piece of machinery with the capabilities for all kinds of messes.
Be it carpet or hardwood, it’s essential to have a vacuum that can clean and dust all kinds of surfaces.
That vacuum is the Shark ION P50 – IC162 Lightweight Cordless Upright Vacuum with HEPA Filter.
The Duo Clean is a built in double brush roll system that allows the vacuum to clean just about any surface.
You can use the Shark ION in three different ways.
You can use it as is (standard upright) or as a stick by removing the canister and continuing to use the motorized brush roll. Lastly it comes with a handheld option for really getting into tight spaces.
- Powerful suction for whole-home cleaning: Dirt, debris, pet hair, and tough messes
- Up to 50 minutes of runtime with a removable battery, which can be charged in or out of the vacuum - handheld power mode
- Powered lift-away enables three versatile modes of cleaning: (1) upright vacuum mode for deep-cleaning carpets and floors, (2) stick vacuum mode for convenient under-furniture reach, and (3) handheld vacuum mode for cleaning hard-to-reach areas around the home and car
- DuoClean Technology, invented for cleaning fine dust and large debris on carpets and hard floors. One powerhead, two brush rolls.
- 2X dust cup capacity vs Shark ION F80.
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology + HEPA filter captures and traps up to 99.99% of dust and allergens based on ASTM F1977 of particles 0.3 microns and larger.
- Freestanding upright storage
Which vacuum is best for carpet?
When it comes to carpet, the Bissell CleanView Bagless Vacuum with OnePass takes the cake.
The technique is significant when carpet is involved. Instead of the classic back and forth motion, all you have to do is move in a single direction. With the design of their brush roll you can vacuum up dirt in a SINGLE pass.
The suction power of the Bissell paired with their brush roll design changes the vacuuming carpet game.
And although this can look like a standard vacuum, this is actually bagless. It is so easy to clean up and maintain especially with their washable filter.
- Buy Bissell, save pets; Bissell donates up to 10 dollars to the Bissell pet foundation for every pet product purchase, upon activation
- Powerful pet hair pick up with triple action brush roll + scatter free technology
- Swivel steering to easily maneuver around furniture and other obstacles
- Clean edges and corners with edge to edge cleaning. Cleaning path width: 13.5 inch
- Remove pet hair with specialized pet tools including pet hair corner tool and pet tool
- Bottom, easy empty dirt bin makes emptying quick and mess free. Hose length: 6 feet
- Replacement filter style 12141
- Dirt cup capacity 1.0 liter
What is the best vacuum for hardwood floors?
Created with the intent of removing fine debris, the Dyson Cyclone V-10 Absolute Lightweight Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner is the best choice for hardwood floors.
Using the wrong vacuum on your hardwood floors can leave long-lasting damage, but the right one can change the way you look at clean floors.
Canister style vacuums are preferable when it comes to wooden floors. They’re lighter than Uprights and scratches from the rotating bar needn’t be factored into the equation.
Overall, the Dyson Cyclone Stick vacuum’s soft roller head leaves floors shiny and scratch-free.
- Up to 60 minutes run time when using a non-motorized tool. Cyclone technology: 14 concentric cyclones. Filtration: advanced whole machine filtration. Cleaning path width - 9.84 inches
- Dyson technology helps create a cleaner, healthier home - Our vacuums and purifiers are scientifically proven to capture particles as small as allergens and bacteria.
- Lightweight and versatile, to clean right through the home. Instant-release trigger means battery power is only used while it’s cleaning. Requires charging for 3.5 hours minimum before first use
- Up to 40 minutes of fade-free power with the soft Roller cleaner head (in suction mode I). engineered to pick up both large debris and Fine dust
- Torque drive cleaner head – Up to 20 minutes of fade-free power (in suction mode II). drives stiff nylon bristles into carpets to capture deep-down dirt
- Powered by the Dyson digital motor V10 and engineered to pick up ground-in dirt and Fine dust from hard floors and carpets
- Quickly transforms to a handheld vacuum, to clean all around your home and car
- Included components: Vacuum, charger, wall mount, combination tool
Best multi floor vacuum
If your house has a number of different surfaces that need vacuuming, the Shark APEX Upright Vacuum with DuoClean for Carpet and Hard Floor Cleaning is your go-to for an all-around clean.
The thick carpet, thin carpet, and hardwood floor settings are easily toggled between. Paired with the noise reduction technology, you’re set to clean your whole house without worry about waking the kids from their afternoon nap.
The versatility and dual brush roll system are dirty floor’s worst nightmare.
Similar to the Shark ION P50, you can use this vacuum three ways.
You can remove the canister to allow you to pick up even under your furniture, use as a standard upright vacuum and you can simply use the canister alone to vacuum places like your stairs or sofa.
My favorite part is the SELF CLEANING brush roll which means no more hair getting stuck!
- Shark APEX featuring DuoClean, Powered Lift-Away, and self-cleaning brushroll technologies.
- DuoClean Technology: Dual brushroll system deep-cleans carpets and directly engages floors for a polished look.
- The vacuum that deep-cleans now cleans itself. The self-cleaning brushroll delivers nonstop hair removal.
- Powered-Lift Away: the pod detaches to extend the reach of the cleaner head, including under furniture.
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology and a HEPA filter trap dust and allergens inside the vacuum cleaner.
- Noise Reduction Technology: Expertly tuned to reduce noise and soften pitch.
- Active-Glide Technology: Smooth maneuverability on hard floors and carpets while maintaining powerful suction.
- Includes: 12" Crevice Tool, Upholstery Tool, Pet Power Brush
Best Robot Vacuum
The eufy Anker, BoostIQ RoboVac 11S is a strong suction, quiet, self-charging Robotic Vacuum Cleaner.
This Robot Vac cleans hard floors to medium-pile carpets. With 100 minutes of run time this can swiftly clean all the cracker crumbs and pet hair quickly off your floor.
Never worry about its battery dying because the eufy Anker finds its way to a charger once it senses it’s on low power mode.
Save the deep cleaning for your upright plug-in vacuums, but the eufy Anker can handle the rest of life’s dirt.
The sleek black design is scratch proof with a tempered glass-top cover for protection. It’s built-in drop-sensitive, ensuring there won’t be any accidental tumbles down the stairs.
In comparison to its other robot rivals, the price is good for just about the same quality clean.
- Included in the “Best robot vacuums of 2019” by Tom’s Guide.
- All-New RoboVac: Re-engineered to be the slimmest* RoboVac (2.85'') but with quiet operation and increased suction power at 1300Pa.
- BoostIQ Technology: Automatically increases suction power within 1.5 seconds when extra vacuuming strength is needed to get the best clean.
- A Quiet Clean: Vacuums for up to 100 minutes** on hardwood floors with consistent, powerful suction at a volume no louder than an operating microwave.
- Premium Features: Anti-scratch tempered glass-top cover for protection, infrared-sensor for evading obstacles, and drop-sensing tech to avoid falls. Automatically recharges so it's always ready to clean.
- What You Get: RoboVac 11S, remote control (2 AAA batteries included), charging base, AC power adapter, cleaning tool, extra set of high-performance filters, 4 side brushes, 5 cable ties, welcome guide, and our worry-free 12-month warranty.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which vacuum works best for pet hair?
There’s no doubt that the suction power of the Shark ION P50 is sure to capture all the pet hair and not get tangled, but the convenience of the eufy Anker running its course in your home is incomparable.
With pets constantly shedding, you should have to follow them around with a vacuum to ensure a clean home. A robotic vacuum can handle that job.
In general, suction power is your best friend when it comes to pet hair.
What is the quietest vacuum?
If you’re looking vacuum during nap time, the noise level is important to consider. You’ll want to invest in something like the Dyson Cyclone.
It’s not your average everyday vacuum, but it comes in handy when you want to clean without waking the kids from their afternoon nap.
So what is best vacuum for battling kid messes?
In short, you have a lot of options when it comes to vacuums, but don’t let it seem too daunting. Decide what capabilities are most important for your household and purchase accordingly.
Here on the blog we strive to help mothers have happier – cleaner homes. If you are in need of some extra help check out the following posts: