Updated On — 21st Jan, 2021
It’s true, cleaning a large area is a complete different ball game especially when it comes to mopping!
Mopping a big house or zone requires only the top tools to help you achieve a great looking floor without breaking your back. In this post, we uncover the best mops for large areas.
In an effort to be transparent, this blog uses affiliates links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn commission on qualifying purchases. So heads up, there may be some in this post!
What’s the best tool for mopping a large area?
In order to really clean up a large area you need a mop that can do it all. Look for a mop that is powerful, preferably cordless (so that you can take it anywhere), and is low maintenance. Most importantly, you want a mop that can efficiently clean all types of floors.
Most homes have multiple floors so you want to buy something that is tough on stains but gentle on fragile floors. (By the way, don’t forget to checkout my FAQ section at the bottom)
Top Mops for Large Areas
- Best Overall: Bissell 2554A CrossWave
- Best Budget: Bissell Steam Mop 1806
- Best Hardwood Floors: Bissell Spinwave
- Alternate Hardwood: Professional Microfiber Mop
- Best for Tile: Bissell PowerSteamer Heavy Duty 3 in 1
- Best Robot: iRobot Braava Jet M6
- Alternate Best Robot: ILIFE V5s Pro, 2-in-1 Robotic Vacuum Cleaner and Mopping
Compare all on Amazon here or read below for individual details.
Best Overall: Bissell CrossWave Cordless Max
This powered mop is top of the line and can clean most floor types (tile, sealed wood floors, rugs, laminate, linoleum, rubber floor mats, pressed wood floors, and even area rugs).
As you can see it’s very slick and comes in Black with this beautiful Pearl White strip and Electric Blue Accents.
This would be the best all around mop because it can do it all.
Its an all in one Wet-Dry Vacuum Cleaner and Mop for Hard Floors. It is cordless with a 30 minute battery life and best of all its SELF WASHING.
The Bissell 2554A is one smart floor cleaner (it’s even wifi compatible).
When choosing a mop for a big space, you want something that will quickly and effortlessly clean, is powerful enough to use continuously and won’t require an entire crew to bring in.
This mop is compact, has great battery life plus comes with a docking station that also starts its self cleaning cycle.
In case the Crosswave doesn’t fit your particular needs, I’ve researched other options which you can see below.
Best Budget: Bissell Steam Mop 1806
The Bissell Steam Mop 1806 has a lot of great features and usually comes in under $100 (check current price) which makes this the best budget friendly mop.
This steamer is suitable for sealed hardwood, ceramic, linoleum, tile, granite, and marble floors. Although it is not cordless, the power cord comes in at a great length (25ft) which is perfect for a big spaces.
What I like about this model is that it comes with a detachable SpotBoost Brush to really help scrub off tough/sticky messes.
To keep your floors safe, you can choose between high or low steam settings based on your cleaning needed. The warm up time is 30 seconds so you can get going almost as soon as you fill the water tank.
Another unique feature about the Bissell 1806 is that it comes with a Scent Boost tray. This allows you to insert one of their Spring Breeze Fragrance Disc into tray for added fragrance while you steam clean.
- Every Bissell purchase helps save pets. Bissell proudly supports Bissell pet foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.
- Sanitize your hard floors to eliminate 99.9 percent of germs and bacteria without the use of harsh chemicals; (When used as directed; Does not include fragrance disc)
- Powerfresh deluxe steam mop has an on board spot boost brush to remove tough, sticky messes
- Leave behind a refreshing spring breeze scent as you clean. Power rating: 12 ampere, power cord length: 25 feet
- Easily fill the water tank with the Included measuring cup
- Choose between high or low steam settings based on your cleaning needed. Heater warm up time: 30 seconds. Cleaning path width - 12 inches
Best for Hardwood Floors: Bissell Spinwave
Best for Hardwood floors will have to go to the Bissell Spinwave Powered Hardwood Floor Mop and Cleaner.
This multi-floor cleaner is good for tile, sealed wood floors, laminate, linoleum, and vinyl. However, because of the On-Demand Spray option it allows to control water levels.
So you can keep your wood floors SAFE while giving them a good clean.
You can switch between either the scrubby or microfiber pads (both machine washable).
The Bissell Spinwave is priced well (check here) and can be used throughout your home if you have more than one type of floor!
But Remember: Not all hardwood is created equal.
If you are unsure what kind of hardwood you have and don’t want to risk damaging it then I recommend getting a standard microfiber mop.
This 18″ Professional Microfiber Mop is perfect for wet and dust mopping hardwood along with laminate, concrete, tile, stone, and vinyl.
Not is the pad nice and big (18’’) it has an adjustable handle to allow you to cover more floor faster.
I normally would not recommend mopping a large area with these kinds of mops because it can take forever. But you can never be too safe when it comes to hardwood.
- Powered hard floor mop scrubs your floors so you don't have to
- Safe for cleaning sealed, hard surface floors; 28 ounce clean water tank capacity. Power rating : 0.9 ampere
- Includes soft touch pads for gentle cleaning on hardwood floors and scrubby pads for tough, sticky messes
- Reduces cleaning effort with power spin pads for a hands and knees clean. Carpet attachment-no
- On demand spray allows you to dispense just the right amount of solution onto your floors
- Included components: Hard floor mop
- Mop pads
- Cleaning formula
Best for Tile: Bissell Power Steamer 3 in 1
The Bissell PowerSteamer Heavy Duty 3-in-1 Steam Mop 2685A is not only best for tile but came in to a close second for best overall.
Just like the Bissell 2554A, this one is a great all in one multi-purpose mop.
This steam mop can be used for indoor AND outdoor cleaning. But the reason this one for tile is because of the handheld steamer and attachments.
One of the accessories is an Extension Wand which really allows you to get into the nooks and crannies of tile. The steam coming from the wand can eliminate that nasty grout that build in between each tile.
Although this PowerSteamer has so many tools and functions, the Crosswave wins my overall because 1. its cordless and 2. it vacuums. Those two options make it better for inside the home.
If you have a lot of tile in your home and can take advantage of all the AMAZING things the Bissell PowerSteamer offers then I would definitely get this mop.
- Powerful, high-temperature steam to blast away dirt, grime, grease, stains, and mold across a wide variety of indoor and outdoor surfaces. For use in garage and workshop areas; Interior and exterior of auto's, boats, ATV's, and recreational vehicles; windows; outdoor patio furniture and decks; And all sealed hard floor surfaces.
- 3-in-1 heavy-duty multi-purpose steam cleaner. The upright steam cleaner transforms into both an extended reach steam cleaner and a handheld steam cleaner.
- Chemical-free cleaning. Sanitize with the power of steam, eliminate 99. 9% of germs and bacteria.
- Variable steam modes and on-demand trigger allows you to control the intensity and amount of steam being released
- Convenient storage with wall mount for easy and convenient storage.
- On-board accessory storage carries accessories with you as you clean.
- Includes 29 accessories to tacking indoor and outdoor tough messes that can be used on both the extended reach steam cleaner and the handheld steam cleaner.
Best Robot: iRobot Braava Jet M6
Best Robot Mop for Large Areas
As far as robot mops go, the iRobot Braava Jet M6 is the way to go. It’s unlike any other robot mop on the market because of its super smart technology.
Not only does the Braava M6 work with Alexa or Google Voice Assistant but it uses Smart Mapping to learn your home and its rooms.
The Imprint Smart Mapping technology allows you to control the rooms you want the Braava to clean and stay out of.
It has a great run time of 150 minutes but if for whatever reason the battery may be running low, the Braava will return to its charging station and then return to where it left off when its charged again.
The Braava also comes with a dry sweep feature which will be auto detected based on the pads you use. This is really to be intended to be used for light dusting.
Because it is just a cleaning pad it won’t actually pick up anything from the floor.
- THE ULTIMATE ROBOT MOP - The Braava jet m6 robot mops like you would. You can tell it where and when to clean, and Precision Jet Spray helps tackle sticky messes and kitchen grease
- MOPPING THAT FITS SEAMLESSLY INTO YOUR LIFE - Ideal for multiple rooms & larger spaces. Navigates around objects & under furniture. Cleans finished hard floors including hardwood, tile & stone
- GUIDED BY SERIOUS SMARTS - With vSLAM navigation, the m6 learns the layout of your home & builds personal Smart Maps, enabling it to expertly clean & navigate in neat, efficient rows. If it’s running low on battery, it recharges & resumes cleaning
- MOPS MESSES IN THE MOMENT - Coffee spill on the floor? Dog track in mud? The m6 can target specific areas within your rooms, like in front of the couch or under a table, for easy, hands-free mopping, with a request to your voice assistant or via the app
- COMPLETE CONTROL OF YOUR CLEAN - With Smart Mapping, your robot knows your kitchen from your living room, so you can decide where it cleans & when. With Keep Out Zones, your robot knows to avoid sensitive areas like pet bowls or play areas
- A CLEAN UNIQUE TO YOU - The Braava jet m6 robot mop is smarter than ever, learning where & when you normally clean & suggesting personalized schedules so you can focus on everything else
- THE DREAM TEAM OF CLEAN - With Imprint Link Technology, the Braava jet m6 robot mop & select Roomba robot vacuums team up to vacuum then mop automatically in perfect sequence
- TAKE MOPPING OFF YOUR TO-DO LIST - The robot intelligently knows which mode to use based on pad type. Our pad technology uses electrostatic force to sweep & wicking fibers to mop. For a long lasting fresh scent, add Braava jet Hard Floor Cleaning Solution
- ALWAYS GETTING SMARTER - Quality that lasts. Intelligence that grows. Equipped with advanced hardware capable of providing the intelligent features you will love today, & access to our latest advancements in the future.
- iRobot does not certify the quality or authenticity of products purchased from non-authorized resellers, and will not cover claims, provide service or offer replacements for products purchased from these sellers
Best Budget Robot Mop
If you want something that can do both then it’s worth checking out the ILIFE V5s Pro.
Unlike the Braava, the ILIFE has suction and canister to vacuum up before mopping. But since this is a post about mops, the Braava wins by a landslide.
The ILIFE is still a great device and at a really good price so its worth checking out (product page).
How do you mop a large area?
Your first step to mopping any size floor is to clear the surface first. This can be done by either sweeping, vacuuming or dust dry mopping.
I personally use the O-Cedar Dual-Action Microfiber Flip Mop. I love that it has both options for dry and wet mopping. The sweeper side picks up dust, crumbs AND hair (bonus for me)!
It’s so fast and you can do this daily. The microfiber pad is machine washable so you can use it multiple times.
Once you have cleared the floor of the dust/crumbs you can begin mopping the floors. Always keep in mind that moisture is the enemy. If you over wet your floors it will cause them to be sticky and nasty. If you have hardwood it will severely damage your floors so be careful.
You want to have a plan when it comes to mopping. Where will you start and where will you end? You want to make sure that wherever you end does not make you walk back onto your clean floor.
Preferably, you want to start in the back of the zone you’re working in and mop as you exit the space.
Start at the corner furthest from the exit and work back and forth until you’re out.
What mop do professionals use?
Most professionals use a standard string mop with a bucket. Another option for professional use are large dust mops.
It really depends on how large the space is and the industry.
Is it better to vacuum or mop first??
Like I mentioned above, you want to vacuum before you mop.
Mopping first will only result it you spreading dirt and dust around your home. This will actually just make your floors dirtier and can even make mud lines across your floor.
See my checklist on how I clean my house everyday for more cleaning inspiration; hint it takes me 2 hours or less!