Interested in knowing which is the best floor steam cleaner to buy? In this post we uncover the top 7 rated cleaning machine on the market. Plus a few frequently asked questions will be answered at the end of this post.
If you want to know about the best steam mops, how to choose the best one for you and more then read on!
In an effort to be transparent, this blog uses affiliates links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn commission on qualifying purchases. So heads up, there may be some in this post!
What is the best steam floor cleaner to buy?
A great steam cleaner to buy is one that will obviously meet your specific needs. There are several factors to consider. Checking things like the cord length, time of continuous steam and multi-use functions is important.
Consider asking yourself what you actually need a steamer to do for you.
For example, if you have a large house then the tank capacity and cord length may be very important. Another would be if you have pets and regularly get tough stains.
A few extra factors can be cost, size, and easy of use.
Below have compiled a list of several options in a range of needs to help you find the perfect one for you.
Which is the Best Floor Steam Cleaner to Buy?
- Best Overall: Bissell Power Fresh Slim
- Best Budget Under $100: Bissell Power Fresh Steam Mop
- Best for a Home: Bissell Power Steamer Heavy Duty 3-in-1
- Best for Upholstery: PurSteam Handheld Pressurized Cleaner
- Best for Tile and Grout: Bissell Power Edge Life Off
- Best for Pets: Bissell PowerFresh Lift Off Pet Steam Mop
- Best for Large Areas: McCulloch Deluxe Canister Steam Cleaner
Compare them all here or keep reading for individual reviews.
Best Overall: Bissell Power Fresh Slim
The Bissell PowerFresh Slim is a 3-in-1 Steam Mop. It’s a great multi purpose steamer that can fit many or all of your needs.
You can use the Slim as a steam mop, a handheld or simply remove the mop pad to reach high up stains. I love all of the tools that this Bissell comes with.
The Bissell Slim is truly multi-functional. It comes with a grout tool, flat scraper tool and clothing steamer just to name a few.
A common question regarding steam mops is if you can add solution into the steam mop. Generally the answer is no.
But Bissell solved that problem by creating their own scented demineralized water and fragrance discs.
It’s safe to use on several hard floors such as hardwood, ceramic and linoleum.
- Every BISSELL purchase helps save pets. BISSELL proudly supports BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.
- Powerful handheld steam cleaner and steam mop in one
- Clean and sanitize sealed hard floors without the use of harsh chemicals; eliminate 99. 9 percent of germs and bacteria with the natural power of steam
- Superior clean above floors with the extension tube and extra-long 25 ft power cord to reach those difficult areas in your home
- On board storage kit allows you to carry tools while you steam clean - grout tool, angle tool, flat scrapper tool, bristle scrub brush
- Bonus tools: Flat surface tool with mop pad, clothing steamer tool, bristle scrub brush for above floor multi surface cleaning. All tools can be attached to end of handheld steamer or extension tube
Best Budget Under $100: Bissell Power Fresh Steam Mop
Currently, the Bissell Power Fresh is Amazon’s #1 Best Seller in Steam Mops (full list here).
If you are looking for a tough but standard steam mop then this is the one for you. This is the perfect chemical free option for cleaning stuck on stains with the power of steam.
The Bissell PowerFresh can clean multiple floor types such as hardwood, ceramic, granite, marble and linoleum.
And like mentioned above, this steam mop has the option to add Scented Demineralized Water or scented fragrance discs to add an extra boost to your cleaning.
This steam mop comes with two options. You can either purchase the regular PowerFresh which has an Easy Scrubber attach to the steam mop. Or the Bissell PowerFresh Deluxe can be detached and used as a Spot Boost Brush.
- Clean and sanitize sealed hard floors without the use of harsh chemicals; Eliminates 99.9 percent of germs and bacteria with the natural power of steam
- Power through tough, sticky messes with the flip down easy scrubber
- Choose from high, medium, or low steam based on your cleaning needs with the smart set digital steam control
- Features swivel steering and a 23 foot power cord. Ready to use in 30 seconds
- Includes: (1) microfiber soft pad, (1) microfiber scrubby pad, (2) spring breeze fragrance discs, and a carpet glider. Power rating: 1500 watts
- Packaging graphics may vary
- Easy Scrubber flips down and reaches down to the grout and crevices.
- SmartSet Steam Control for light cleaning to heavy messes.
- Spring Breeze fragrance discs insert in the mop pad for a fresh, clean scent while you steam mop.
- Removable water tank you can easily fill at the sink.
- Low-profile mop head cleans into corners and edges.
Best for a Home: Bissell Power Steamer Heavy Duty 3-in-1
The Bissell Power Steamer is a Heavy Duty, Multi-Functional Steam Mop.
You can clean nearly every part of your home including your car, furniture and windows. This 3-in-1 includes 29 accessories and can transform into a steam mop, handheld and extender stick steamer.
As a handheld, you can attach tools such as the window squeegee to clean your windows or anywhere that you may have glass or a mirror.
Other tools are the flat surface tool, fabric steamer and flat scraper tool.
With the extender, you can attach a grout tool to scrub between tiles floors. This can be used on both indoor and outdoor sealed surfaces.
The Bissell Power Steamer 3-in-1 is definitely an all around steam mop that can be used in several parts of your home.
- Powerful, high-temperature steam to blast away dirt, grime, grease, stains, and mold across a wide variety of indoor and outdoor surfaces. For use in garage and workshop areas; Interior and exterior of auto's, boats, ATV's, and recreational vehicles; windows; outdoor patio furniture and decks; And all sealed hard floor surfaces.
- 3-in-1 heavy-duty multi-purpose steam cleaner. The upright steam cleaner transforms into both an extended reach steam cleaner and a handheld steam cleaner.
- Chemical-free cleaning. Sanitize with the power of steam, eliminate 99. 9% of germs and bacteria.
- Variable steam modes and on-demand trigger allows you to control the intensity and amount of steam being released
- Convenient storage with wall mount for easy and convenient storage.
- On-board accessory storage carries accessories with you as you clean.
- Includes 29 accessories to tacking indoor and outdoor tough messes that can be used on both the extended reach steam cleaner and the handheld steam cleaner.
Best for Upholstery: PurSteam Handheld Pressurized Cleaner
The best way to clean your upholstery is by using a handheld steamer and the PurSteam is one of the best you can get.
Though this can be used in many areas of your home, the ease to use on your furniture and upholstered surfaces is why this is the best for this job.
The PurSteam Steam Cleaner is a 9 Piece accessory set which includes an ironing brush, extension hose and several spray nozzles.
With these attachments you can easily clean up all over your living room, bedrooms, and even carpets/rugs. This will be perfect for sanitizing mattresses, freshen up your drapes and remove wrinkles from your drapes.
You can also use this steamer on your sofas and pillows to clean up any accidents.
- 100% ALL-NATURAL STEAM CLEANING: Hot pressurized steam eliminates grease, grime, mold, stains, and bed bugs without harsh chemicals.
- EASY HANDHELD USE: Lightweight and portable unit comes with a long 9.8-foot cord for convenient indoor and outdoor use.
- SAFE, MULTI-PURPOSE CLEANING: Safe to use on a wide range of surfaces including ceramic tile, granite, waterproof wood flooring, laminate tiles, most cotton and wool carpets, and washable wallpaper.
- FAST-HEATING: Heats quickly with a 3 to 4-minute warm-up time.
- 9-PIECE ACCESSORY SET: Deep clean the hard-to-reach areas of your home using the heavy-duty attachments for more targeted cleaning. Extension hose for different attachments.
Best for Tile and Grout: Bissell Power Edge Life Off
I love the Bissell Power Edge!
The triangle shaped mop pad will allow you to clean and reach into several spaces when cleaning your floors. The hard part when using rectangle mop pads is that you can hardly ever get into corners and edges along your base board.
But with this steam mop you can say goodbye to that problem.
This steam mop also comes with specialized tools including a Grout Tool. This tool will allow you to easily scrub and steam away at your tile grout floors.
You can also easily use this around other places of your home. The detachable function will turn this steam mop into a handheld steamer easily.
The handheld steamer can be used to clean around your kitchen, bathrooms, counter tops and more!
- 2 in 1 steam mop with detachable handheld steamer to clean with the power of steam both on and above your floors
- Control the amount of steam you put on your floors with on demand steam trigger
- Easily clean and maneuver into corners and edges with Triangle foot design. Power rating is 1500 Watts
- Includes bristle scrub brush and grout tool to steam clean sinks, stove tops, countertops, and dirt and grime from grout
- Naturally sanitize your sealed hard floors and eliminate 99. 9Percent of germs and bacteria, when used as directed using Microfiber pads. Results may vary, tested under controlled Lab conditions
Best for Pets: Bissell PowerFresh Lift Off Pet Steam Mop
The Bissell PowerFresh Lift Off Pet Steam Mop is a 2-in-1 mop that will allow you to finally tackle those stubborn pet messes.
Bissell creates so many pet friendly devices. They really consider the pet owner and make it extremely functional.
The handheld option comes with several attachments to help clean and sanitize things like your pet toys, fabric beds and more!
The flat scraping tool can help you remove those stuck on food messes while the steam mop is powerful enough to eliminate messy paw prints.
Bissell loves pets so much that with every purchase they donate to their Bissell Pet Foundation which helps pets find their forever homes.
- Every BISSELL purchase helps save pets. BISSELL proudly supports BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.
- A Safer And Easier Way To Clean Homes With Pets. No Need To Use Harsh Chemicals On Your Floors
- The Lift-Off Pet Model Features A 2-In-1 Steam Mop, Allowing You To Tackle Pet Messes Both On And Above Your Floors
- The Lift-Off Pet Model Includes 13 Versatile Tools For Use With The Handheld Steam Cleaner; Heater Warm-Up Time: 30 Seconds
- Eliminate 99. 9% Of Germs And Bacteria* With The Natural Power Of Steam. Power Rating : 1500 Watts
- Includes Microfiber Soft Pad, Microfiber Scrubby Pad, Odor Eliminating Fragrance Discs, Attachable Water Cup, 13 Tools With A Tool Bag, And A Microfiber Towel. Power Cord Length_25 feet
Best for Large Areas: McCulloch Deluxe Canister Steam Cleaner
If you have a lot of ground to cover then the McCulloch Deluxe is perfect for you!
This canister steamer has a tank capacity of 64 ounces which means you can clean up to 120 minutes without the need to refill.
The extra long (18 ft) cord will definitely help you to reach several places in a large home. The floor mop attachment is safe to use on floors like hardwood, tile and laminate.
You can choose between two mop pads that are included. The microfiber mop pad is great for everyday cleaning. While the scrubbing mop pad will help tackle tough stains.
The McCulloch Deluxe has a convenient handle and wheels to easily move this around any large space. And with the 4 different pressure settings, you can blast away dirt, grease, and grime.
The best part is that you can use this all over your home including on furniture, grills, cars and other automobiles.
- CHEMICAL-FREE CLEANING — Naturally deep clean and sanitize without the use of harsh chemicals using hot, pressured steam to eliminate grease, grime, and stains from a wide range of surfaces including ceramic tile, grout, granite, sealed wood flooring, laminate, appliances, grills, autos, and more.
- SANITIZE WITH STEAM— With proper application, steam sanitizes by removing germs and bacteria.
- 23 VERSATILE ACCESSORIES — Equipped for steam cleaning jobs in and around your home including a floor mop, mop pads, nylon brushes, brass brush, angled nozzle, scrub pad, scraper, squeegee, and more. Conveniently store accessories on-board or in included storage bag.
- LARGE CAPACITY TANK — The 64-ounce water tank heats up in under 12 minutes and provides up to 120 minutes of steam. Blast away dirt and grime with on-demand variable steam control, optional steam lock for continuous steam, and 4 bar (58 PSI) pressure.
- GREATER REACH — Extra-long 18-foot power cord and 10-foot steam hose provide added maneuverability and reach for those hard to get to places.
- SUPERIOR SUPPORT — When you choose a McCulloch product, you’re investing in superior performance and design that will deliver total satisfaction. If not, we’ll replace it, for 2 years. Supported by a customer service team based in Andover, KS.
- Built to meet U.S. voltage requirements. Certified, safety-tested, and warrantied for use only in the U.S.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are floor steam cleaners any good?
In short, yes! Steam cleaners are a great and natural way to not only clean tough stains but eliminate germs.
Steam mops use powerful levels of high heat which can remove stains, grease, grime and even mold! As you can see from the options above, many steam cleaners can be used for more than floors.
Steam cleaners are cost effective because you only need to use water to make them work. Plus they can be eased for so many things.
Is Bissell or Shark steam cleaner better?
Bissell and Shark are both great floor care companies. However, in my opinion Bissell outshines Shark when it comes to steam cleaners.
While Shark’s products are definitely high quality, they are definitely basic and don’t offer much in comparison to Bissell.
For practically the same price you can get a multi-functional steam mop from Bissell while the Shark steam mop is just that. Even the most “advanced” steam mop can only be used as a handheld and doesn’t offer many attachments.
What happens to the dirt when you steam clean?
Steam cleaners are known for blasting away tough stains but what happens to the dirt? In most cases, the dirt is picked up by the mop pad.
However, in extreme cases where there is loose dirt you should either sweep or vacuum the area first. Always pick up any large debris since steamers do not have suction.
Always remember to check your mop pad during cleanings and change as necessary.
What can I put in my steam mop to smell nice?
Most manufactures recommend that you do not add anything into your steam mop besides water. The top preference would actually be distilled water.
However, Bissell to the rescue! Bissell offers several scented options of demineralized water and scented discs for their steam mops.
What’s the best steam floor cleaner to buy?
While there are many options for steam cleaners the best should always fit your needs. However, from what we have researched in this post we are confident in recommending the Bissell PowerFresh Slim 3-in-1.
This Bissell Steam Mop can cover a wide range of needs and fit most budgets.
If you found this post helpful please let me know in the comments below. I’d love to hear from you.
You may also enjoy the following posts: